Why we love salmon:
1. It is delicious. Salmon has a unique flavour, unlike most fishes it tastes rich and buttery and easily paired with other dishes.
2. It is versatile and can be cooked in many ways: baking, steaming, frying, poaching and sautéeing.
3. On top of that, it is packed with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12, in addition to selenium and choline, linked to improving brain function, cognition, and neurological health. The polyunsaturated fatty acids found in salmon can help improve serum cholesterol, a key indicator of cardiovascular disease.
4. It is a great source of high-quality protein. Incorporating these types of proteins in your body is vital in protecting bone health and maintaining muscle mass during weight loss.
5. It is incredibly high in potassium, which reduces your chances of a stroke.
To sum it up, salmon is a powerhouse of important nutrients. Consuming at least two portions a week can help reduce your risk of obtaining several diseases and can be hugely beneficial to your health.
That brings us to the first recipe of my Meals in a Minute series: Today we are going to make Salmon with Baby Spinach and Spiced Garlic Aioli.
What you'll need:
Baby spinach and sweet cherry tomatoes (the spinach can be substituted for your favorite greens)
For the Aioli:
4 garlic cloves
1 cup extra light olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper
First, we make the Aioli: so it will have some rest time before you start your meal.
Using pestle or mortar, you need to crushed the garlic (so its releases it juice) until well-grounded, then slowly add olive oil, bit by bit as you stir the sauce (to get it perfect you must be patient because it is a preparation that curdles easily, if you do it too quickly.) When the oil has been used up, and the sauce has a creamy consistency, add the lemon juice and chilli powder. Stir it well and voila! your aioli is ready. Pour in the bowl, cover it up and put in the fridge.
The Salad: Wash your baby spinach, cut your cherry tomatoes and tossed well together, for this I will make a basic honey-mustard dressing since its goes well with the aioli or used the garlic aioli as your dressing. How to make the honey-mustard dressing: Whisk together 1tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp cider vinegar, 4 tbsp olive oil and a good grinding of black pepper.
Lastly, The Salmon: Preheat the pan for searing. Rub the salmon generously with salt and Pepper, when the pan is really hot, add one portion of olive oil to one portion of butter, not too much, just enough to grease the pan. Put the Salmon on the pan, cook them for depending on the thickness of your Salmon; I say 2-3 min on each side.
To know if the salmon is cook, start by inserting the tip of a knife into the thickest part of the salmon so you can see inside of it. If the inside still looks completely translucent, let it cook longer. Wait until the inside looks slightly translucent and pink, which means it's ready.
Serve the salmon with your salad and dot some aioli on the side.
Hope you enjoy your meal!